No one wants to get injured, let alone at work — but, work accidents do happen. Whether your accident is minor, or you’ve sustained a more serious injury, there are some critical things that you should do to ensure you are eligible to receive the workers’ compensation benefits that you deserve. Here are some critical steps involved in a workers’ compensation claim.
THE WORK INJURY REPORT
The most important part of a workers’ comp claim is theinjury report. Not only will the details be a vital piece of evidence in your claim, but it can be helpful to jog your memory about the accident, should you have to participate in an interview. Injured workers should notify their employees as soon as possible about the accident; they will assist you with getting the report prepared. The following should be included:
- Details of how the injury occurred
- What parts of the body were injured.
- Who the accident was reported to.
- Any witnesses that saw the accident happen.
WHY CHOOSING THE RIGHT DOCTOR IS CRITICAL
Without a supportive doctor, your claim could be denied. Having an attending physician who is experienced with workers’ compensation claims is crucial in order to increase the chances of a favorable decision. Your doctor should be well aware of the following procedures:
- Reporting: Doctors are required to complete various reports. Missing information or missed deadlines could render you a denial.
- Request for Authorization: Before treating a patient in a workers’ compensation case, doctors must complete and submit a “request for authorization” form. Any treatments done without authorization may not be covered under workers’ compensation.
WHY MEETING DEADLINES IS CRUCIAL
Workers’ compensation claims are extremely deadline driven, so it’s imperative that both you, and your attending physician, meet all required deadlines to avoid a claim denial. In the state of California, a work injury must be reported within 30 days after an injury has occurred. Filing a workers’ compensation claim on your own can be a complicated and stressful task. To ensure you are meeting deadline requirements, it’s best to have an experienced workers’ compensation attorney on your side.
If you were injured on the job and need assistance with filing a workers’ compensation claim Levin & Nalbandyan, LLP can help. Our experienced attorneys can guide you every step of the way.