It’s no secret that Uber is a convenient transportation service. Whether it’s a ride home from the airport or you want to avoid having to worry about drinking and driving — many people use and trust Uber to get them from point A, to point B, safely. However, accidents on the road still happen, and many users wonder what happens if your Uber driver gets into an accident and as a result, you’ve been injured? Here’s what you need to do.
STEPS TO TAKE AFTER A RIDESHARE ACCIDENT
If you’ve been involved in a rideshare accident, the first thing to do is call 911. Report the accident as well as let them know you’ve been injured. If it’s feasible, do the following:
- Take photos of the accident scene.
- Get names and contact information of witnesses to the accident.
- Take note of the driver’s name.
- Screenshot the rideshare app that shows the receipt of your trip.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible – even if you think you haven’t sustained a serious injury, sometimes the effects an accident may not appear until days later.
- Contact a personal injury attorney to learn your rights.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR INJURIES?
When a passenger is involved in a rideshare accident, liability rests on the person who was negligent in the accident. However, to file a personal injury claim for a rideshare accident, you must prove negligence and the extent of your injuries relating to the accident.
WHEN TO CONTACT A PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY
Rideshare accident personal injury claims can pose many obstacles. While your Uber driver may be at fault, recovering damages could be difficult if the driver only carries a personal auto policy. The problem lies within the fact that personal insurance policies do not cover drivers that are operating their vehicles commercially. Consulting an experienced personal injury attorney is paramount to the success of your claim. A personal injury attorney can explain your options on how you can get compensation for your injuries from a rideshare accident.