UNDERSTANDING RIDESHARE ACCIDENTS
Ridesharing is a popular and convenient way for many people in the Los Angeles area to get around town. Whether for business or pleasure, using a rideshare service can still pose an accident risk. If you are a rideshare customer, knowing the answers to these five frequently asked questions can help you stay protected.
1. WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF RIDESHARE ACCIDENTS?
- As a passenger in a rideshare car.
- As a driver or passenger riding in another vehicle that has been hit by a rideshare car.
- As a pedestrian, bicyclist, or motorcyclist that has been hit by a rideshare car.
2. WHO CAN I SUE IF I’M INVOLVED IN A RIDESHARE ACCIDENT?
Auto Insurance Coverage
While a rideshare driver may be at fault, filing a personal injury claim is tricky because many rideshare drivers only hold personal auto insurance coverage. This is a problem because personal auto policies do not cover drivers who are operating their vehicles in a commercial setting, such as carrying passengers for Uber or Lyft.
Rideshare drivers are required to rely on the company’s liability insurance when they are working. However, many drivers will not file claims because they fear losing their job. Despite the driver not putting in a claim with their company, it’s imperative to protect yourself by pursuing a claim. Seek the assistance of an attorney who is experienced in rideshare accidents. Your attorney can help you determine who will pay for your injuries after a rideshare accident.
3. HOW DO RIDESHARE ACCIDENTS HAPPEN?
- Distracted driving – From talking on the phone and texting to changing the radio station and eating, these bad driving habits can cause a severe collision.
- Speeding – Rideshare drivers who don’t pay attention to speed limits can put everyone on the road at risk of sustaining an injury from an accident.
- Limited driving experience – You may be surprised to know that some rideshare drivers have a lack of driving experience.
- Not being able to handle hazardous road conditions properly – Lack of driving experience along with dangerous road conditions can be a recipe for a serious rideshare accident.
- Failing to obey traffic signals and road signs – Ignoring a red light or blowing a stop sign can be a surefire way for everyone on the road to be at risk of an accident that could cause a severe injury.
4. WHAT DO I DO IF I’VE BEEN INVOLVED IN A RIDESHARE ACCIDENT?
- Call 911 to report the accident and be sure to let the dispatcher know you’ve sustained an injury.
- Take photos of the accident scene if possible. Having photos as evidence can be critical to the success of your personal injury claim.
- Collect witness names and phone numbers. This is another critical piece to your claim.
- Obtain the rideshare driver’s information such as name and phone number.
- Take a screenshot of the rideshare app that shows your trip information.
- Contact a rideshare accident lawyer as soon as possible. Having an attorney represent you in your claim can increase your chances of success.