Speak With a Lawyer Now
(213) 232-4848
Speak With a Lawyer Now
(213) 232-4848

Can I Claim Workers' Comp If I Was Injured While Traveling for Work?

by Levin & Nalbandyan, LLP
October 26, 2023
Workers' Compensation

Frequently Asked Questions About Work-related Car Accidents and Other Business Travel Injuries

Business or corporate travel can have its perks. It can get you out of your cubicle and break up the monotony that often comes with office life. But what happens if you are injured in a car accident or other mishap while on the job or traveling for business? Below, we answer the most frequently asked questions about travel-related work accidents and workers’ compensation.

You may have the right to compensation if you sustained an injury while on a business trip. To learn more about your legal options following a work-related car accident, contact Levin & Nalbandyan. Our Los Angeles workers’ compensation lawyers have helped business professionals secure maximum compensation for their injuries. Schedule a free consultation today at (213) 232-4848 to discuss your options following a work-related injury.

What are the most common accidents sustained while on a business trip?

Business travelers can suffer injuries in a wide range of circumstances. Some common business travel accidents include the following:

  • Car Accidents - Auto accidents are the most frequent cause of business travel injuries. Workers traveling in their own vehicle, company vehicle, or rental car can suffer injuries as a result of their own actions or those of other drivers. Uber or Lyft users traveling for work can be injured in crashes caused by rideshare drivers or other motorists. 
  • Slips and Falls - Another common source of work-related accidents is slips and falls. Falls can occur almost anywhere but are especially common in workplaces, hotels, restaurants, sidewalks, and airports.
  • Pedestrian Accidents - Accidents can occur when a pedestrian or driver is distracted, under the influence, or not obeying traffic laws, but can also be caused by unmarked crosswalks or missing or malfunctioning traffic signals.
  • Air Travel Injuries - Business travelers can suffer injuries on the jetway, when heavy luggage falls from the overhead bins or by turbulence, which can cause injuries to those seated or moving about the cabin.

Can I file for workers' compensation if I was injured on a business trip? 

If you were traveling while on business, the entire trip is typically considered work-related. Therefore, expenses related to injuries sustained in a car accident or any other travel-related work injury should be covered by workers' compensation.

Can I file for workers' comp if I was injured while commuting to work?

If you were in a car accident while driving to or from work, you are generally not able to file a workers’ compensation claim. This also applies to auto accidents that occur while driving on your lunch break and running personal errands during working hours.

Can I receive workers' compensation for getting injured while driving on the job?

Generally, yes. If you were driving as part of your job or “within the scope of your employment,” it is considered a work-related accident and is covered by workers’ compensation. This also includes car crashes that occur while you are running business-related errands or completing a task as directed by your employer. You may also be eligible if you were in a car accident while on your employer’s premises, such as your company parking lot.

What expenses are covered by workers’ compensation?

Workers’ compensation benefits cover medical expenses related to your travel-related work injury. It also covers a portion of your lost wages after your accident and, in some cases, provides temporary or permanent disability benefits should you be unable to return to work as a result of your injuries.

How much time do I have to file a workers’ comp claim?

In California, all work-related injuries must be reported within 30 days of the accident, and all claims must be filed within one year of the date the injury occurred. However, it is typically best to file a workers’ comp claim as soon as possible to ensure you get all necessary forms in before the deadline and receive the much-needed benefits right away.

What if workers’ comp doesn’t cover my expenses?

In some cases, you may be able to secure additional damages by filing a personal injury lawsuit. Speak with a Los Angeles personal injury attorney to see if you may be eligible.

Speak with a Los Angeles Workers’ Compensation Lawyer to Learn More

You may have the right to compensation if you were injured while traveling for work. While workers’ compensation may cover your basic financial losses, such as medical bills and lost wages, in some cases, you may be entitled to additional damages in a personal injury claim.

To learn more about your options following a work-related car accident or other business travel injury, call Levin & Nalbandyan. Our dedicated team of workers’ compensation and personal injury lawyers in Los Angeles have secured millions on behalf of injured workers across Southern California and will work hard to get you the maximum compensation following a business travel injury. Call (213) 232-4848 to schedule a FREE, no-obligation consultation with one of our qualified attorneys.

Share this Story
Intrigued by this subject? It's possible that your friends are as well! Why not share this article on your social media platforms?

Ready to Speak With
an Attorney?

If your claim has been denied or your attorney has decided to give up, reach out to our firm for a second opinion.

chevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram