Understanding Electric Scooter Accident Risks
E-scooters are becoming increasingly more popular as a form of public transportation. With the increased prevalence of e-scooter use, accidents with motor vehicles are becoming more common.
Those who choose this motorized form of travel risk accidents with vehicles. If you are injured in an accident while using an e-scooter, it is essential that you understand what legal remedies are available.
Why Are There Increased Risks of Accidents Between E-Scooters and Vehicles?
E-scooter riders are especially vulnerable and susceptible to potential injury. There are many reasons for this, including the following:
- The small size of e-scooters.
- Minimal safety equipment besides helmets for e-scooters.
- Motor vehicles failing to yield properly.
- Inattentive drivers may not notice e-scooter drivers.
- Motor vehicle drivers failing to check blind spots.
E-scooter users should be especially careful when operating and take precautions to protect against possible injury.
What Precautions Can E-Scooter Drivers Take to Reduce the Chance of Accidents?
In the state of California, there are electric scooter laws that must be adhered to when operating an e-scooter. To protect yourself when using an e-scooter, you should always abide by these regulations, including:
- Wearing a helmet and other safety equipment.
- Riding defensively.
- Taking precautions to ensure other drivers see you.
- Be aware of the laws that apply to e-scooters.
- Avoid driving in poor weather conditions.
Additionally, it’s important not to use an e-scooter without a proper license and until you know how to operate it safely.
What Should You Do if Injured in an E-Scooter Accident?
If you are involved in an e-scooter accident with a motor vehicle, here are some suggestions:
- Get immediate medical treatment for your injuries.
- Contact law enforcement and request a report.
- Obtain the insurance and contact information of the driver of the vehicle.
- Identify any eyewitnesses to the accident.
- Take photographs and videos of the accident scene and your injuries.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
Contact a Los Angeles Scooter Accident Lawyer
E-scooter personal injury claims are complex and having an experienced attorney on your side can increase your chances of a favorable decision in your case. A Los Angeles scooter accident lawyer can provide you with advice about your options.